All *stuffed product (pillows, bedding, cushions, mattresses, pet beds, upholstered chairs, upholstered headboards, sofas, futons, stuffed toys, etc ) must have a stuffed law label attached.
For stuffed toy requirements, please see separate section below.
- All manufacturers of stuffed products are required to be registered in accordance to the US and Canada regulations; it is the responsibility of the vendor to maintain compliance with these regulations.
- It is the vendors responsibility to register in for a “Uniform Registry Number(URN)” US-Once registered in one state, this URN must then be registered in the other states requiring registration so that only one URN is needed. This URN identifies the company as the manufacturer of the products and must be printed on the law labels attached to the products. Only a manufacturer can be issued a URN. A single manufacturing company that has multiple plants must have a different URN for each location. Canada- you must register with the TSSA. Failure to register will result in fines and products from being removed from sale.
- If stuffing is down or feather, maker must also obtain a sterilization certificate and permit number which is obtained from the state of Pennsylvania. This has nothing to do with UO being headquartered in this state. It is purely coincidence. The permit number must be noted on the law label.
- Labels must be securely attached to the product in such a manner that they are openly and easily visible at the point of sale. Labels are not to be concealed or obstructed from view in any manner. Labels must not detach from the product during shipping or handling. Law labels must be sewn in to the product, not attached by swift tack. Labels zippered into the slip cover of decorator pillows or other products are not permitted.
Stuffed Law Label Example for Pillows, Bedding and Upholstered Product
Material Statement in Detail:
ALL NEW MATERIAL
-Minimum Type Size and Font: 1/4 inch height
-All capital letters (ALL NEW MATERIAL)
-Generic name, grade or definitions. No abbreviations
-Listed in order of predominance, using percentage by weight
- Note: Any upholstered product, mattress, or cushion that contains stuffing which has been previously used, must state: SECOND HAND STUFFING or PREVIOUSLY USED STUFFING.
Stuffed Toy Labeling Information
Required information for a toy label:
-All New Material
-List of hidden filling materials
-Country of Origin
Additional information that may be included (optional):
-Company Name & Address
Materials such as foam beads, plastic pellets, sand, gravel, rice, beans or other similar fillers must be inner bagged and listed on the law label. If the toy contains wire, plastic, wood, cardboard or any other type of stiffeners they must be listed on the law label.
Toys Sold in Sets
When a toy is made up of a number of components and sold as a set, the law label can be attached in two different ways. Each component may be labeled separately or one label may be attached to the main component listing the filling materials of the different components.
Other helpful information
What is a Law Label?
The purpose of the law label is to inform the consumer of the hidden contents, or “filling materials” inside bedding & furniture products. The law label was born in the early 1900s to prevent these articles from being further manufactured with contents such as horse hair, corn husks and whatever else a manufacturer could find to use that the consumer would never see. It’s similar to food labeling.
Law Labels must describe the filling materials of the article as a percentage of those filling materials by weight. Example: 80% Polyurethane Foam, 20% Polyester Fibers.
Currently 31 states require law labels. The products requiring law labels in each state varies, as does the labeling requirements. Uniform law labels can be produced to satisfy the different requirements of each state.
Law Labels are also required in most states to display a Uniform Registry Number which identifies the manufacturing facility that produced the products. This can be any company in the world who’s products are sold in the U.S.
Law Labels are governed on a state-by-state basis by various departments.
The following websites are helpful in order to understand these policies further:
*Products Requiring Law Labels
The following list encompasses all known products that require law labels. This does not mean that if your particular product is not on the list, that it does not require a law label. If you don’t see your product listed, please contact us for a determination. It may fall under a product category on the list – or we may consult with a state official if it is something new and different. Bottom line: if it is meant to be slept, reclined or sat upon, it will require a law label!
|Baby Changing Pads||Bean Bags|
|Bed Pillows||Boat Seating|
|Bumper Pads||Children’s Car Seats|
|Dining Room Chairs||Exercise Equipment Cushions|
|Filling Materials in Bulk Foundations||Futons|
|Mattresses||Padded Baby Carriers|
|Padded Toilet Seats||Ottomans|
|Reclining Chairs||Sleeping Bags|
|Upholstered Chairs||Upholstered Dual Purpose Furniture|
|Upholstered Headboards||Waterbed Mattress Liners|